Mountain Goat News Briefing
I bring you much news today.
Spring has sprung in Bavaria and we can already see a greenish tint on the lawns as the grass is beginning to grow. Tulips and daffodils are up and grace us with their presence. The creeks are rapidly flowing with fresh, cold mountain water as the ice in the hills is melting. This weekend I hiked up to my favorite spot and it was so nice to be there once again after the long winter. This is my favorite thinking spot too where I write most of the newsletters I bring to you.
I wish everyone would take it as a discipline to read my newsletters on an ongoing basis. This way you would not wonder why I say much of what I say and present. Is it not difficult to follow a Soap show on TV if you missed many episodes in between. So with this on going saga you have to first keep pace with the news, then remember what you read. If you practice this discipline you will find that you will be much more knowledgeable and have much less questions, especially those that are way behind the news and the state of the information.
As always my comments are in italic RED.
Kurdistan Region delegation in a meeting with Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi.
ERBIL, Kurdistan Region — The visiting Kurdish delegation during their meeting with the prime minister of Iraq on Wednesday night discussed possible ways of removing the stumbling block before the reactivation of the controversial 140 Article and laying the groundwork to hold a census in the city of Kirkuk.
According to a readout of the meeting published by Haider al-Abadi’s office, an agreement has been reached between Abadi and the Kurdish delegation to reactivate the 140 Article and hold a general census across the province once [ISIS] militants have been driven out of some key areas the group still holds, including Hawija, Rashad and Riyaz.
(This is the most important paragraph in the article. What it telling us?
1) That an agreement has been reached to reactivate Article 140
2) They will hold off until ISIS problem is resolved
3) Later in the article Abadi strongly suggests they hold on any referendum until the crisis with ISIS is resolved. So what is this referendum they keep talking about in all these articles? The next paragraph explains it.
Article 140 of the Iraqi constitution calls for normalization of areas it refers to as disputed, to be followed by a referendum on whether or not those regions want to be part of the Kurdistan Region. (so here is the reason for the referendum.)
According to the constitution, the article should have been implemented by the end of 2007, and so far no referendum has been conducted on this issue. (This does not mean they still can’t and should notaddress the issue, as Nori al-Maliki now wants them to just drop it. Instead it is saying they are late and it should have been addressed before now. What has it not been addressed? I have to tell you there has been dozens of news media coverage on this and articles written over the 8 years of Maliki. Maliki is a very sectarian attitude and simply did not want the Kurds to annex any more these disputed lands. He wanted the control of the resources, namely oil, on the land to be governed/controlled directly by Bagdad. The first part of Article 140 had been activated as the Kurds do pump the oil and market it)
This statement comes as the high-ranking Kurdish delegation comprised of the ruling Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP) and Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK) are meeting with authorities in Baghdad including leaders from the major Iraqi political parties.
“The right of the people of Kurdistan to self-determination and referendum will be on the table. We want to find political and peaceful ways to address this issue with Baghdad, so that we arrive at an understanding while the interests of both sides are preserved,” said Adnan Mufti, a member of the Kurdish delegation. (So they are saying the people should decide if they want to be annexed and thus governed by the Kurds and not just the Kurdistan govt dictating by itself since like in "Kirkuk is for all the people of Kirkuk with all its communities. There are Kurds, Arabs, Turkmen, Christians and others in Kirkuk who must live together”)
Abadi told Rudaw in an interview last week that an immediate referendum may not be the best approach. (They also have millions of displaced refugees coming back to this region now that ISIS fighting is coming to an end. These people will have to be sorted out and identified prior to holding any referendum. Remember too the provincial elections are coming this year and very soon. This displaced citizen refugee issue is going to be problematic for the elections)
"Kirkuk is for all the people of Kirkuk with all its communities. There are Kurds, Arabs, Turkmen, Christians and others in Kirkuk who must live together,” Abadi said. “I think the issue should not be deal[t] with in the context of majority because that is the matter of coexistence and coexistence means living in one frame.”
Hamid al-Khazri of the National Alliance faction in the Iraqi parliament led by Hakim told Rudaw, suggested the timing is not right for the Kurds to go forward for the referendum as Iraq suffers from many crisis, as does the Kurdistan Region.
He urged the unification of all the efforts from all the parties to erase ISIS in Iraq as the group’s poses serious threat to all the nations and groups living in Iraq.
Commenting on raising Kurdistan flag in Kirkuk which drew condemnation and praise on a regional scale, the national alliance MP said “the Kurdish brothers should think logically and wisely.”
He believes this question has to be resolved “within the framework of the constitution.”
In addition to Khazri’s comments, Ziya Asadi, in charge of the Political Board of the Sadir Movement, led by the Shiite leader Muqtada al-Sadir, said “we have to respect any decree made within the context of the constitution and understanding between the KRG [Kurdistan Regional Government] and Baghdad," referring to the controversial hoist of the Kurdistan flag in Kirkuk.
The delegation is also holding meeting on Thursday with Ammar al-Hakim, leader of the Shiite National Alliance and leader of Iraq’s Supreme Council, and will hold a string of meeting with other officials.
Yesterday the Kurdish delegation met with Iraqi officials including President Fuad Masum and Salim al-Jabouri, the speaker of the parliament.
Iraqi forces control 90% of western Mosul : top commander
Apr 6, 2017, 9:26 am
Commander of Nineveh Operations, Maj. Gen. Abdullah al-Jubouri
Mosul (IraqiNews.com) Iraqi government forces now control 90 percent of territory in western Mosul as operations entered a fifth month to retake Iraq’s second largest city from Islamic State militants, according to a top commander.
Maj. Gen. Najm al-Jubouri, head of the Joint Operations Command’s Mosul operations, said in statements on Wednesday that his troops have become in control over 90 percent of the “western axis”, and continue to advance in central Mosul.
Troops are currently preparing to retake “the remaining regions where Daesh (Islamic State) is positioned” in Tamuz(July), Refaie, Mesherfa and Hamodun districts.
Iraqi government forces, backed by paramilitary troops and a U.S.-led coalition, recaptured eastern Mosul from IS in January after three months of fighting, and launched another offensive mid February to retake the western region.
Dozens of Islamic State senior leaders died in airstrikes and ground offensives over the past few days.
Troops have been struggling to fully retake central Mosul’s Old City, a densely-populated and structured area which generals view as vital for victory over IS.
Iraqi and coalition generals, though admitting the difficulty of the battle for the western region, said IS powers were waning, and that its members had no choice but to fight to death.
The conflict in Mosul has displaced at least 430.000 since operations launched in October, with more than 200.000 having fled the western region alone.
Iraq receives $ 1 billion and $ 400 million from the International Monetary Fund
The Committee on Economy and Investment parliamentary Sunday on the receipt of Iraq and one billion and 400 million dollars from the International Monetary Fund, while confirming Iraq's commitment to the conditions and instructions of the Fund and provide a detailed report on Iraqi funds. (so the IMF is concerned how the money is going to be spent and Iraqi must show how it is being spent)
So far "Iraq has received five billion and 400 million dollars as a part of the loan from the International Monetary Fund for three years," said Najeeb Najib, a member of the committee, adding that "the financial and economic return of Iraq from the agreement signed with the International Fund is estimated at 13 billion and 300 million dollars." (So we know from reading this so far Iraq has received almost 5.5 billion and the total fund is 13.3 billion. So they are not even half way completed the funding yet by this loan)
"Iraq under the Convention is obliged to implement the terms and instructions of the International Monetary Fund on monetary and financial policy and submit a detailed report on Iraqi funds from the reserves and financial transfers and the work of banks and investment and appointments and loans granted to employees and citizens." (So there are terms to this new money just funded to Iraq too just like the other parts of the loan)
Director of the Issuance Department of the Central Bank: Printed currency volume exceeds 11 billion and 600 million dinars
(I have saved the best for last…..lol….lol….I luv articles like this one because it is a question and answer session with the CBI. This is the news my contact in the CBI told me I would have to wait for when I asked many of these very same questions. So I sort of knew this article was coming out shortly and thus here it is….)
Most of the Iraqi Central Bank steps are subject to political and legal environment of the country , especially in regard to the deletion of zeros that counted specialists in the earlier trend sensitive and dangerous may still be, but the central remains the most important institution in terms of the need to adjust the financial management in light of the financial crisis experienced by the Iraqi economy, which must have to deal with dilemmas , whether with regard to the citizen or the work of the central bank itself.
(What the CBI is telling us they delayed the “deletion of the zeros” project due to political and legal environment and these trends may still exists. I quote from the article – “ in the earlier trend sensitive and dangerous may still be,”. The important part is they are saying it may still exists so they are holding off for now.)
Questions concerning important files posed (range) in this meeting , the director of the release and the Treasury in the Central Bank Aa’bas behind, and with being answered by briefly he pointed out the most important points that showed that the currency is good for circulation deposited Central has exceeded one billion and a quarter of a million dinars an amount that is not a little if they were compensated by the stored banknotes at the bank , as some believe, at the time between the printed currency size has exceeded the “11 billion and 600 million dinars, he urged citizens on the need not to keep large amounts in homes or buried in the ground , the fact that the process of replacing in the event expose Dt to burn or damage costs the central administrative and financial burdens, stressing that the counterfeit currency rate is still within the internationally accepted borders, with the central bank quest to carry out an information campaign to educate the public on how to distinguish between the original currency. (I find this the most important part of the article, as it tells us so much. Mnt Goat has been telling everyone for so long and not many take me serious. So here it is in black and white from the CBI. Now do you believe me? What does the CBI say that is so important? They are telling us the CBI has to conduct their educational campaign for the citizens in how to recognized the old notes from the newer notes that will be launched. It can’t be any clearer folks)
*Behind on a question about the possibility of having higher versions of a class (50000 ) dinars?
– No at present intention to issue a higher class category (50000) dinars.
(I hate these translations…lol….lol… – This is telling us there is no current intent to issue currency higher than the 50k notes. WE know these notes were issued in 2015 in expectation of an RV in later 2015 but was stopped due to security reasons with ISIS fight.
We know they told us they would be issuing the 100k and 200k later as the economy grew and they moved ahead with the project to delete the zeros. We know, because they told us, that these new higher denominations are permanent notes and will be kept going forward, after the project to delete the zeros is completed. They are to be used mainly for inter-banking purposes)
* What about the subject of the deletion of zeros and the reason for the delay?
(Why do we still wait for the RV? We know for a FACT that the RV will result as part of the project to delete the zeros. They telling us they are still delaying the project. I broke these six reasons out for you to help you understand it better. See below article paragraph)
– 1) the decision on the deletion of zeros cannot be taken in isolation from the political and legal environment in the country under conditions 2) the security situation as a result of terrorist acts and led to exit in part to the 3) provinces outside the control of the state for the years 2014.2015, 2016 (namely Mosul, Anbar, etc..) which prevents certainty and to wait in the implementation of this project, 4) in addition to that this must be done in coordination with all state departments and the private sector, where it should be followed by changing the paragraphs contained 5) in the various laws, which include a reference to fines or lump – sum collection of fees, 6) must also change the financial and statistical records in order to conform with the project process the deletion of zeros. On the other hand, the technical preparations are underway by us.
* How is the cost of the annual replacement and replacement of damaged currency?
– First , there is no substitution for damaged currency being done annually, as the bank instead seeks to issue new note papers (the new lower denominations that will have the new security features) for security specifications developed, so the cost is reduced in this way it is the cost of issuing new banknotes specifications better used at the same time damaged to the replacement of currency from the previous editions (larger 3 zero notes)
We seek to carry out an information campaign to distinguish between original and counterfeit currency. (Here it is again!…need to conduct the information campaign to educate the citizens. Just like my CBI contact told me had to happen….go figure…..Mnt Goat is right again….lol…lol…)
* How discovered the counterfeit currency of the size?
– The Central Bank of Iraq resorted to the use of machines to sophisticated counting and sorting which can detect counterfeit currency, in addition to banks guide using modern techniques in the currency examination, but the problem is not doing shopkeepers enough efforts to use the machines to check the currency, as the bank seeks to campaign media to sensitize the public on how to distinguish between the original currency and counterfeit currency by issuing a booklet definitions and (posters) for this purpose and will be distributed to banks in major shopping malls, and in all cases, the counterfeit currency rate is still within the internationally accepted borders , where even T ratio (0.000025) (Twenty – five million paper sheet)
* What currency damaged by fire or poor storage of citizens compensation mechanisms?
– While we hope the citizens do not keep large amounts in homes or buried in the ground, and to do instead in the deposit with the banks, as the replacement of the burnt currency process or damaged it costs the central bank financial burdens and administrative Colva unwarranted, however the bank is to receive citizens whose savings in Iraqi currency to fire accidents provided that they are documented by the civil Defense Department and be sourced from the project, either in terms of currency (buried) are sufficiency statement on the sources of these funds, and in this regard we call on citizens not to accept the mediation of any hand to the Iraqi currency and that this bank does not receive any commission for its replacement.
We applied security methods with modern technology advanced counting and sorting currency.
* What future plans for the central bank currency and print?
– Iraqi Central Bank seeks to keep pace with the evolution of printing currency and modern technologies both in currency printing or counting devices and sorting the currency where they are constantly adding new security features in addition to the acquisition of advanced machines counting and sorting currency, was dispensed with final counting and manual screening process.
* How much is the size of the torn currency and how much of the size of the printed currency?
– The number of banknotes unfit for circulation deposited with this bank (1,277,049,543) cash paper of various categories, where they are compensated from the stored banknotes have this bank, as the number of printed banknotes.
Their words not mine…..No Rumors, No Hype, Just the FACTS!
Much love to ya all,